NutriTrade Platform Development
Desktop Study of Platforms -Desk study of similar platforms in other sectors
Verification guidelines – These verification guidelines set out the methodology and requirements for projects participating in the NutriTrade platform.
Lighthouse examples – Report on “lighthouse example” municipalities or companies for promoting the nutrient neutralization idea.
News and Pres releases:
- 14.7.2017 Kotka protects the Baltic Sea by neutralizing nutrient emissions
- 12.9.2017 Porvoon vesi invests in new means of environmental protection
- 15.9.2017 Turun seudun puhdistamo Oy participates in the John Nurminen Foundation’s water protection projects in the Baltic Sea region, neutralising its own nutrient footprint.
- 23.11.2017 Baltic Sea protection crowdfunded for the very first time – John Nurminen Foundation’s Nutribute online platform released
- 13.6.2018 Porvoon vesi to Support Gypsum Treatment of Agricultural Fields in the River Porvoonjoki Area
First stepping stones – Report on Expert and Stakeholder meetings in Finland
NutriTrade Policy Brief 3 Nutrient Offsets – examines legal aspects of utilizing nutrient offsets in environmental permitting processes. The Weser-ruling of the European Court of Justice changed the playground for environmental permitting by strengthening the legal status of the Water Framework Directive. If an economic activity increases pollution that poses pressure on critical water quality elements, it cannot be granted an environmental permit. This stance does protect waters from pollution, but making it actually compatible with constantly evolving economic activities calls for innovative regulatory tools such as nutrient offsets.
The effect of gypsum on agricultural phosphorus losses – Report on water qulity data
Co-Creating Water Protection: A Success – Article in Pan European Networks: Science & Technology
NutriTrade Policy Brief 1 Gypsum Amendment and Large Scale Use – discusses the feasibility of gypsum amendment for large-scale use. Drawing from the results and experience of a large-scale pilot organized in Southwest Finland, the Policy Brief provides an overview of the potential field area and logistics if gypsum amendment would be used widely in Southern Finland. It also addresses what to take into account when considering gypsum application elsewhere in the Baltic Sea region.
NutriTrade Policy Brief 2 Gypsum Amendment and Policy – provides recommendations targeted to agricultural policy makers, in order to facilitate and support the large-scale use of gypsum. It recommends that HELCOM includes gypsum amendment in its recommendations and that gypsum is included in the national agricultural policies of the EU member states.
News and Press releases:
- 6.4.2017 K Group grocery stores introduce the first Pirkka product made of Finnish bream, promoting circular economy
- 25.3.2018 Fishers for Season 2018 Selected for John Nurminen Foundation’s Local Fishing Project
Pilot Nutrient Exchange
Brochures & Presentations
Wanted – Solutions for Saving the Sea – Presentation at SLUSH introducing SMART & CLEAN FUTURE 01.12.2016